The Perfect Moment (Solar Mandala)

The Perfect Moment (Solar Mandala)

20" x 16" Watercolor, Ink, Gouache, Acrylic and Graphite - February 17, 2022 to March 29, 2022
  • GOLD - bright solar energy.
  • I have been looking at William Blake a lot. His drawings and watercolors feel so personal and true. My grandmother loved his little watercolors, she pointed them out to me when I was little, probably at the Huntington Library, or one of the other museums near Pasadena. She took me to museums frequently when I was young.
  • Solar mandala - the solar day boat carries the sun god across the sky. Guardians protect the sun and the boat from Apophis the serpent (Egypt).
  • The first sunrise was "the perfect moment", the first light (or sound) that starts the process of creation. Other origin myth images include a golden fiery bird and a blue lotus rising above the waters. Space was created by separating the earth and the sky so the sun had “space” to rise for the first time.
  • The sun crossing the sky is a life cycle, a journey. It is born in the morning as a child, mid day it reaches full strength and is a triumphant falcon. At night it is an old man and at sunset it dies. The sun’s flesh and soul pass into the underworld reviving the inhabitants there with its light. At night it is replaced by barques for the moon and the stars.
  • As the creator had overcome darkness and chaos to create the world, the sun and its defenders had to subdue the monsters that embodied darkness and chaos each day/night.
  • Golden ouroboros in the center. The symbol for eternity, an ancient symbol. Decay and regeneration.