Tulpa

Tulpa

36" x 30" Watercolor, Ink, Gouache, Acrylic and Graphite - February 2, 2022 to October 19, 2022
  • Tulpa - a being, object or deity which is created through spiritual or mental powers. If you focus energy, it will manifest. It is sentient. The idea originates in Tibetan and Indian Buddhism. Part of the use of this idea was to teach pupils that dieties were creations of the human mind. The idea of a "tulpa" in my work has been sort of a wish, to save species, to take advantage of myth and mystical/subconscious realms to provide refuge for creatures as they are extirpated from the reality of our planet.
  • He is a gateway into golden light.
  • He is an aura, an emanation from a spirit realm.
  • Frenetic. Fast and energetic, disordered and anxiety driven. Frenzied.
  • A few years ago I went to LACMA to view some work from the flat files in Leslie Jones’s office. She pulled out several little studies by Charles Christian Nahl. He had pages of lion drawings and the faces were so wonderful. The eyes were odd and the mane was so alive.
  • His mouth revisits an older piece I made for an Alice in Wonderland themed show in LA a few years back. I made a Jabberwocky with a living grotto mouth.